Sunday, May 16, 2010

“Atlas and the Wolves”


“Atlas and the Wolves”
‘A wolf has to roam free. A tree has to stay. It’s in their nature. It’s in their ways. I can only hope that this wolf comes back to me, for I can only stay. I can only stay. I can only stay.’  
                                                                                –  Atlas from Atlas and the Wolves. 
This is the crux of the play I’m writing today. A lot of my plays deal with the concept of loss. These next seven will be probably be about love lost. Finding love is easy. At the end of the day, we’re pretty much all fairly attractive, fairly confident, and fairly reasonable people. Soon enough, we’ll all find love. You can’t avoid it. But keeping it – making love grow: that is the problem. Therein lies the rub! When we attempt to keep love, we become unattractive, unsure and complete unreasonable. We become wolves and trees. 

As wolves, we feel the need to roam with the introduction of cold feet.  We feel the pull to see what we wanna see and see it alone. But wolves are exciting! Fascinate, full of life, because of the uncertainty in their presence and ways. Unpredictable, wolves are, but addictively fascinating. Now as trees - And unfortunately, I’m more like a tree – We are grounded. Rooted in the fundamentals of nurturing our relationships with those around us. We’re home to the wolves and the world in general. Because we never leave. We stay, and give life.  But trees are inevitably susceptible to being alone, for they cannot leave. They cannot roam. They can only stay.  And this is the tragedy I am going to write today. The tragedy of the wolves and the trees.

Mar 15, 2010

*END*

No comments:

Post a Comment