Thursday, May 06, 2010

An old sketch...


“OPENING DOORS”

In the ordinary we simply find the extraordinary. In this episode, The Fire This Time Radio pulls you into the lives of two people, Peace and Time, and their daily ramblings of life and companionship. It is in this that we find how the seemingly abstract elements of feminism and self-worth find themselves in our ordinary, yet extraordinary lives. Take an ear, and listen:

PEACE
No. Shut up. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best show out there-

TIME
What? Curb Your Enthusiasm!

PEACE
Nay, and you lose. You lose. You lose, and you smell like stupid.

TIME
No I - No I don't.

PEACE
Ah, you're doing it.

TIME
Peace, that last line you said doesn't make even make sense. At all.  I don't understand -

PEACE
You don't have to understand.

TIME
But I -

PEACE
No.

TIME
What?

PEACE
Shhh.

TIME
Peace -

PEACE
Say it. Say I'm right.

TIME
That… you didn't even make a real argument.

PEACE
And....

TIME
I.. My head hurts. You're right.

PEACE
I rest my case. Oh - dang it! Dang ok. Um… Time, do you have your card to swipe in?

TIME
Oh, the GoCard, yeah.

PEACE
Why would you say that? Why would you state the obvious like that?

TIME
I don't know I just..

PEACE
What other card would I use?

TIME
Well, you know the…

PEACE
There's just no other card.

TIME
Well, th- the… Time Card.

PEACE
Time Card? Time- You just put your name in front of the word 'Card.' That's not a real card, Time.

TIME
Well it could be Peace! It could be… And that's why I'm American. Think about that.

PEACE
Please. Please swipe.

TIME
Ok. Here we go. I have the card in my hand. I swipe the card through the - wait it's - it's yellow. Ok again the card in my hand and - there it is, it's green. Green means go. And I open the door for the lady -

PEACE
Oh no. No thank you. I'll just open the door myself.

TIME
What? What, you don't wanna take the open door? C'mon! It's open. Come on in. The water's fine.

PEACE
No. No I'm.. Look it's just that I find a little strange that women have men opening doors for them than women doing the same for them.

TIME
The same what?

PEACE
Opening doors.

TIME
Yeah. Look. I'm opening the door. And you're a woman and I'm a man. See? So there. Now just -

PEACE
No. Time. Look, it's double standard. See? You don't see a lot of women walking around opening doors for men. It's just not as acceptable as the other way around. I mean it's kind of patronizing. I can open my own door, Time.

TIME
Oh.....Well I mean think of it this way: if you respect someone how do you show it? You know? Through your actions! Right?  And just one of those small ways of letting your actions show your respect to someone is through opening the door for them. Especially for women.

PEACE
Why women?

TIME
Because. Because it's just good to show as much respect as possible.

PEACE
Because?

TIME
Because …they don't get a lot of respect, Peace. I mean you still undervalued by society. The whole stay at home and raise a family thing. And you receive less pay on average. That's gotta suck.

PEACE
Ok. Alright Alright. That's true. What else?

TIME
Ummm…

PEACE
What else Time?

TIME
And …society still questions your ability to lead. You know? I mean look at the last primary. Some guys try to say you don't um… think logically or handle tough situations -

PEACE
Do you think that?

TIME
No! No. But um.. I mean think of the way we're supposed to look at women. I mean my boys are my boys but… Does she have to be a hoe?

PEACE
Right. And I love Obama. He's my boy. But you're right: Hillary went through some stuff.

TIME
They both did.

PEACE
Omigod I know! Call it what it is! Sexism! Racism! I mean they try to tell Hillary that she's being oversensitive, but then start crying Sexism when it comes to…

TIME
Who?

PEACE
C'mon Time. You know who.

TIME
Rhymes with Palin?

PEACE
It doesn't rhyme, so you choose another word…

TIME
Right…. Like Dalin.

PEACE
Dalin, is not a word.

TIME
It's a Time word.

PEACE
A what?

TIME
From the Time Card-

PEACE
There is no Time Card!

TIME
You use it to swipe through time -

PEACE
I'm going to my room.


Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment